Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Circle of Friendz - Bashy - Bashy.com / other random gorillaz related things

First off, before i start this next post, I have to apologize. In my post introducing the Circle of Friendz, I posted a link to a Google Doc that included a link that should have led to my list of albums that I was planning to review for the Circle of Friendz music project. As it turns out, I had left the link on private. I'm not exactly sure if I'm cut out for this whole blogging thing. But that link is fixed, and includes two more albums included thanks to recent news regarding the new Gorillaz album.
Check out the link here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h0g9igOh1MBj9lQjmpnMLjpuxsBR25GJaP-mhgXGIb8/edit?usp=sharing

Onto some brighter news, it seems to be a busy day for Gorillaz fans. Let Me Out collaborator Pusha T dropped a pretty brutal diss track against Drake days after dropping his latest album, Daytona. This heightened an already longstanding feud between the two going back the past 5 years. A new group featuring two members of the Gorillaz live band, bassist Seye Adelekan and guitarist Jeff Wooton, is releasing a track with November Has Come collaborator MF DOOM later today. This new group, known as Youth of the Apocalypse, has been around for only a year and are already knocking it out of the park with their first feature being such a revered name like DOOM. Most importantly, a clip of a conversation between Damon Albarn and Zane Lowe have revealed some very tantalizing details about the upcoming Gorillaz album. Damon revealed that the new album only has two tracks with collaborators, as the track Hollywood features Jamie Principle and Snoop Dogg and opening track Humility features George Benson on guitar. Otherwise, it's all 2D. He also noted that James Ford produced the album, who also work on several Arctic monkeys LPs and the latest Little Dragon album. Humility is also getting released tomorrow before the album itself! I have heard the leak of the track, but I wanna wait on forming full opinions until I can get my hands on a studio version (and possibly accompanying music video.)

I wanna switch things up for this next review, since lord knows I don't exactly have a flood of things to say about this one compared to my last review, Squire for Hire. I decied to use the entirely original and honestly never before used 5W system (I'm copyrighting that), using Who made the album, What the artists did for Gorillaz, When the album was recorded and released, Where it was recorded, and Why you should or shouldn't give the album I am reviewing a spin or six.

With all of that out of the way, let's get into the next album on the Circle of Friendz project.

Who made this? Bashy, also known as Ashley Thomas
What did they do for Gorillaz? Rapped on White Light and on live versions of Clint Eastwood.
When did this album happen? November 17, 2008
Where was it recorded? somewhere in the UK, can't find a recording studio.
Why you should care? Well, the mixtape certainly has a sense of humor. Lines like "I'm gonna go vandalize a phone booth" on the track I See People are pretty good. Most of the beats and the production are decent. Not just that, but the majority of deliveries by Bashy here certainly got some power and energy to here, such as the live cut Rampage Set. Some highlights of the beats on this tape include the track Hype on the Road and the electronic beats of Mind Out. My favorite track on this album has to be Feelings, a song fast both in length and in its pounding drums. The beat here feels like it would have a home on an old school Toonami commercial. I honestly wish this track was a bit longer, so I can stick with that great beat and have more time for the horns. The track Superheroes is another favorite of mine, not really because of any impressive beats or standout production, but because it hits a soft spot with me with its fast flying verses about the superheroes of Marvel and DC. No surprise that a comic nerd would like a track like this. However, the tape as a whole doesn't exactly go beyond a 6.5 or maybe a light 7.

If you like Myspace references and late 2000's grime, you might love this. For others, you might be able to get a few laughs out of this thing. You'll still get annoyed by the constant repeated samples and sound effects.

This album gets a 6.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment