Friday, June 15, 2018

Circle of Friendz: Sweetie Irie - DJ of the Future

Yahallo! So somehow it's been the longest amount of time between Circle of Friendz posts (one week.) Well I did say that there isn't a schedule (at least I'm pretty sure I did...) However, I wanna try to make these posts somewhat frequent.  Don't wanna seem like I'm slacking after all, and there is lots of material to get through with this project. There's just one more thing before I start. That new Gorillaz track, Fire Flies? It's great. Like, really great! I'm a big fan of Everyday Robots, Damon's solo album, and the track really gave me some Everyday Robots vibes, or maybe like a tidied-up version of a track meant for The Fall. At the same time, I could also see it going on the latest Blur album, The Magic Whip, as it could fit well alongside tracks like Pyongyang. Now with that gushing out of the way, let's get on to the review, taking a look at another less-known and discussed collaborator with Gorillaz.

Who is this? Sweetie Irie
What did he do for Gorillaz? Rapped over the Ed Case remix of Clint Eastwood on the self-titled record, as well as on the rare track Dub Dumb, found on the PS2 game MTV Music Generator 2.
When did this come out? Sometime in 1991, haven't found much info about an exact date.
Where was this recorded? Pavilion Studios and Easy Street Studios
Why should you care? It's a pretty ok summer album, so it's the perfect time to reviewing this! It's got some bright, summery instrumentals to it to listen if you just wanna chill out a bit. However, Sweetie Irie's vocals were a little rough on the ears for me at first, even if I started to settle with them somewhat quickly. Speaking of quick, this record is a pretty quick listen, or at least it felt that way. It's ten tracks long, but it felt like maybe 5. I really dig the piano on Winery, even if I didn't care that much about the rest of the track. My favorite tracks come towards the album's end, with Sweetie's best deliveries on Good Understanding and having a nice contrast to Aswad on the album closer On and On. Speaking of that, the guests all do a pretty good job on this one. They all seem to bounce off of Irie well here, the aforementioned Aswad and and the guest on the track Call Me being the most notable among them. All in all, it ended up being an OK listen, even if I won't be particularly reaching for this much in the future or slotting it into playlists.

I give Sweetie Irie's DJ of the Future a 6.5/10.



P.S. For those still reading, I have another new "segment" of the blog I'm adding in soon, alongside my other new segment Talking Too Much About Cartoons, which you can check out here. I'm doing another music related series of posts called Albums I Adore (and why you should too!) AIAWYST is gonna be about, as the long title says, about the albums that are near and dear to me, those 9's and perfect 10's that I keep reaching to listen to often. It's about the albums I can't stop thinking about, those whose songs have been buried deep into my brain and cannot leave, making a great impression on me. The way the reviews are structured will be somewhat different to Circle of Friendz as well, but will have some albums very related to Gorillaz and its close friends along the way, alongside whatever extra unrelated goodies I wanna share (spoiler: expect lots of J-pop.) It's a series I'm already feeling really good about, and I haven't even written any of the things yet! My first post in this series will come directly after my next TTMAC, which I will keep secret. I will say to think of the first album post as almost a companion piece to the next cartoon post I will be doing. Be on the lookout for both those segments, and of course more Circle of Friendz and anything else that comes to mind soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment