Friday, February 28, 2020

This (Thursday) in Music: aka Boy, Do I Love Some Coincidences!

So somehow, in a series of events that not even I could have predicted, the gods of music have decided to shine down upon me on Thursday and unleash a combination of songs that I never could have expected to hear on the same day. Both AKB48 and Gorillaz have somehow released new songs on the same day as each other. It's one hell of a fantastic coincidence to see two of my all-time favorite groups release new songs on the same day, so I'm taking this coincidence as a sign from the music gods to get back to writing. So here I am!

First up, let's talk AKB. It's been a wild few months for the group in the time since the last single, Sustainable, from back in September of last year. The center for that single, Yahagi Moeka, graduating after being pushed by management to be one of the group's major stars, the last remaining first generation member, Minegishi Minami leaving after almost 15 years, the end of AKBingo and their cafe, frequent AKB senbatsu member and SKE48 queen Matsui Jurina leaving after over 11 years, it's been a wild ride. But now we are closing in on the release of AKB's first single for 2020, Shitsuren, Arigatou, played for the first time on AKB general manager Mukaichi Mion's radio show. Was the longer-than-usual break between singles worth it this time? I'd certainly argue so! In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this was AKB's best single since 2017's 11gatsu no Anklet.

From the translated title of this song, Thank You, Heartbreak, I expected to hear a slow, mournful ballad, more along the lines of the already released coupling song Aisuru Hito, which I covered a few months ago. Instead what I got sounds surprisingly breezy and fun. I really, really enjoy the bright organ bedding of the song combined with the colorful guitars. Something about that combination and the general feel of the song really reminds me of Koi no Etude by Puffy AmiYumi in the best of ways. The chorus is super infectious and lovely too. I can totally imagine this being a nice summer song with a Everyday, Kachuusha type of video except for the fact that this is coming out in March. I am certainly excited for the video to come out and it's the most excited I've been for a main AKB48 single in the short time since I've joined the fandom. I'm really stoked to hear how the rest of the coupling songs turn out, especially Minegishi's graduation song. AKB really knocked it out of the park this time.

Yuiri, center Mizuki, and best girl Nana.

Lastly, there's Gorillaz. The Song Machine is fine-tuned and all ready to go, as evidenced by the fantastic debut song to come out of it, Momentary Bliss. Song Machine is a way for Gorillaz to continue making music without the pressures of touring and working on a full album, being able to "run on autopilot" and be worked at in small chunks in the background while Damon Albarn focuses most of his attention onto other projects, a process that I think can yield incredible results as shown by what's come out of it so far. The newest track Desole, while being a complete shift from the roaring and very British dancepunk of the opening single is yet more proof to add to the pile that Gorillaz can be in top form even without the long production processes of past releases.

First, I have to start to with the production, because it is so incredibly lush and rich. Major props to James Ford on the production, because this is easily his best song yet with Gorillaz besides possibly Souk Eye (although there's always the chance that this song could overtake that one in my eyes.) The bass is so smooth and bouncy and the drums really work together well with it. The guitars are especially crisp and work great with everything else. One unexpected surprise was with certain instruments on display. I really love that non-synth horns and strings are peppered throughout as well, because I don't think there's been either of those on a Gorillaz studio track since Plastic Beach and they sound great here. It adds a level of beauty, flair and polish I don't see very often on newer Gorillaz tracks. Lyrically, it's just as beautiful as the instrumental, with 2D and Fatoumata Diawara trading off verses in French and English about hopelessly trying to keep a relationship together (at least that's how I interpreted it). Both Fatoumata and 2D are in top form vocally. My next surprise was with the length. The track, at least in the video, is 5 and a half minutes long and ends up really taking its time to breathe and let the listener linger in the song's atmosphere. Much of this is sadly cut from the version on music streaming platforms, with the song getting cut down by almost two minutes. Nevertheless, I haven't been as excited for new Gorillaz music as I have been now after hearing this lovely tune. Whatever comes down the Song Machine next, I'm open for it. The small preview for the next one in particular really has me intrigued, it sounds like nothing the band has ever done before.


No comments:

Post a Comment